Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hong kong, part 2

Hongkong
Summer

Today is my second day in Hongkong. 

The plane landed about four thirty in the afternoon yesterday. Took a short nap and met my colleagues in the hotel lobby at seven in the evening to go to the city together. We took the Airport Express and reached Mongkok within an hour. 

Hongkong is still in summer now. I believe it's going to be spring soon. The weather was pretty normal - there wasn't any particular thing you would complain about. It wasn't hot, and it wasn't cold... You wouldn't even notice the weather in any way. We walked along the streets of Mongkok and As usual, I bought a fridge magnet to add to my collection.

We had authentic Hongkong food. I was sure if it because of how the store looks - it was a small space with some tables and chairs. The remaining tables and chairs that belonged to the shop (they probably have them because of the amount of customers they have) were placed outside the shop, on dirty floor and under an old canvas shelter. Their customers didn't seem to mind as they received bowls of noodles made by sweaty arms and accompanied impolite remarks. It seems like the thing everyone had in common in that place was the love for their food... My colleagues and I didn't mind as well. We occupied a small table and started ordering a variety of dishes. They all came with noodles anyway. They were really delicious.  

Right after (did I mention the rounds of mango desserts, bubble tea and food from street-side stalls?), we took a taxi to Lan Kwai Fong and started our wonderful night. As usual it was a blur of booze, music and people. I met a few interesting people though. 

One guy bought a crazy, tall flaming lambogini and shared it with me. We drank it on fire. After that, he asked me to go outside for a cigarette. He told he was 29 and already has a little daughter. He's from Thailand. His wife died in a car accident and his daughter was all alone. He's working in Hongkong to earn a living, as a head chef in a Hongkong restaurant. He thought he could start a new life here... He met a new girlfriend, but his girlfriend ended up sleeping with his good friend. So there he was, drinking all that alcohol to make himself numb. When we wanted to leave, he insisted on sending us back. It was as if he was afraid of being alone... We didn't reject him.

The night ended just like that... All of us semi-drunk on the back of the taxi, with a new girl on my friend's arm...

Here I am, back in my hotel. Went for beef noodles and a cup of hot chocolate in a cosy cafe a few hours ago... Had the deepest sleep ever when i came back. I am having much looking forward to my 4 days off, but at the same time, I am worried that I might become depressed again at the end of it. I tend to think too much. Going to lie on the hotel bed and stare at the ceiling until it is time for me to get prepared and operate a flight from Hongkong back to Doha.

Sometimes I have this feeling that tells me everyone is secretly very lonely. Every action made by them might be acts of desperation and crying out loud from loneliness. We are all a little sick in the head. We just need someone beside us to distract us from those crazy thoughts we have...

With love,
Venessa

P.s. Two hours left in Hongkong. Im already feeling sick of this place...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment